Don’t tell anyone, but sometimes, I like spying on people.
Not in a dirty way! I promise! Sheesh….
Anywho, this is a story about one of my spy missions. I went to a Halloween party a few weeks ago where I didn’t know half the people that were attending. I brought these mushrooms and set them out before most of the guests had arrived. Then I stood in a corner near the mushrooms to gauge the guests’ reactions as they tasted them. Oftentimes, people will tell me that they like something just to be nice, but this was my chance to see real reactions in real time. My favorite moment was when a guy dressed as a giant beer can walked by these mushrooms with his gang of friends and said, “Have you guys tried these? They’re amazing!” and promptly shoved another one in his mouth. I guess you could say these go well with beer?
I reduced the amount of cream cheese in this recipe by half. I figured these are appetizers and should have a caloric content to match that. I added a pinch of paprika on top of the cooked mushrooms to add some color and more taste.
Adapted from The Sweets Life
These party appetizers will disappear in minutes!
- Wash and dry mushrooms, removing stems and setting aside.
- Place mushroom stems and garlic in a food processor and chop until finely minced. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sautee the mushroom and garlic mixture, stirring occasionally, until all moisture has disappeared. Set aside to cool.
- Puree mushroom mixture, cream cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, pepper, onion flakes, and cayenne pepper.
- Place the mushrooms on a foil lined baking sheet. Spoon the filling into each mushroom. Sprinkle the tops of filled mushrooms with reserved shredded cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake mushrooms, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with a bit of paprika. Serve immediately.