I love summer because it seems there are a million kinds of fruits and veggies that I can eat in a hundred different ways. The transition to autumn is always challenging for me, but this year, I’ve dedicated myself to finding exciting autumn recipes that I can look forward to as summer draws to a close.
Pie pumpkins were on sale at my local produce market for $1 each, so, being me, I bought 4. I had no idea that one pumpkin would produce 4 cups of pureed pumpkin, meaning that my four pumpkins were going to end up in a LOT of pies, muffins, breads, treats, and more.
This is one such recipe that I made to use up some of my pumpkin. When 3000+ people rate something 5 stars, it’s gotta be good. I ran out of eggs, so I had to half the recipe. I did not have the size of bread pan that the recipe called for, so I used a standard bread pan and cooked it for somewhere between 60 and 75 minutes. That was 60 to 75 minutes of the ladies in my house asking, “Is it done yet? How much longer before it’s done?” Phew… we served it piping hot (a riot was brewing if I didn’t!) and found it was best with butter or margarine.
For the most part, I followed the recipe just as directed, but when I make it again (and believe me, I’ll be making this again soon!) I think I’ll try cutting the sugar by 1/4 to 1/2. Try it as directed first and then decide if you agree! Also, 1 cup of oil is pretty steep, so I opted to remove some of that. I didn’t miss it at all.
By the way, this makes 2 large loaves.
Borrowed from several different recipes and then added my own touches :)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 60-75 minutes. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool before serving. You can serve this plain or with butter or cream cheese.
You can also make these into 24 muffins. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few crumbs attached.